New employees with information about their rights.
The National Employment Standards which took effect on 1 January, 2010 are part of the Fair Work Act 2009.
They contain 10 minimum conditions as set out below, and it should be noted that:
• The NES apply to all employees including managers and professionals;
• The NES may be the only protection afforded MPD members; and
• The NES apply even where Awards don’t apply.
The NES include:
- 38 hour working week
- Up to 24 months unpaid parental leave
- The right for parents to request flexible working arrangements
- Four weeks paid annual leave
- 10 days paid personal/carer's leave
- Two days paid compassionate leave
- Two days unpaid emergency leave
- Unpaid community service leave
- All national and state public holidays, long service leave and
- Notice of termination.
If employed in a business with 15 or more employees, redundancy pay, and a requirement that all employers provide new employees with information about their rights.
Contact APESMA on 1300 273 762 if you need advice on the NES.