Engineers Welcome Catalbiano Sacking
Queensland's engineers have welcomed the news this afternoon that the Director General of the Department of Transport and Main Roads has been sacked by Premier Campbell Newman.
Friday, 15 February 2013
CEO of Professionals Australia, Chris Walton, called on the Premier to now reinstate the engineers that Mr Catabliano was responsible for sacking, to help the state rebuild after the recent floods.
“Michael Catalbiano was responsible for sacking 83 desperately needed engineers for no good reason,” Mr Walton said.
“When disaster hit the state earlier this year, Queensland didnt have enough engineers because of Mr Catalbiano's mass sacking of engineers.
“Queensland is now no longer able to rebuilt as quickly after major disasters – an appalling result of Mr Caltalbiano's war on engineering skills.”
Mr Walton said Premier Newman now had an opportunity to repair the damage Mr Catalbiano had done to the state's engineering capability.
“There is no doubt that Mr Catalbiano's leaving package will be much more generous than those of many experienced engineers he sacked,” Mr Walton said.
“Many Queenslanders will be shocked to hear that Mr Catalbiano was being paid to do absolutely nothing for many months. While local communities were dealing with floods and crying out for help from government engineers he sacked, Mr Catalbiano was sitting at home collecting a fat pay cheque from taxpayers.”
Mr Walton called on the Queensland Government to quickly employ a new Director General for the Department of Transport and Main Roads who could rebuild the engineering skills needed for the state's major projects and the disaster recovery effort.