This award commenced last year and is given to the Council which is considered to be the “employer of choice” for engineers and technical professionals working in local government in NSW.
It is designed to highlight the workplace needs of our members as well as to promote the sorts of benefits that councils are able to provide in order to attract and retain skilled professionals within their organisation.
Nominees will be judged on the following list of criteria:
Professional & Structural
- Does the Council engage sufficient engineering and other professional resources?
- Is there a Chief Engineer or equivalent position in the organisation structure?
- Does the Council support the development of staff, including RPEng accreditation and the payment for professional memberships?
- Does the Council invest in future workforce needs by engaging cadets, trainees and graduates?
Terms & Conditions
- Does the Council pay a market premium to professionals?
- Is the CLA paid to all eligible LGEA members?
- Does the Council have an attractive motor vehicle policy?
- Are members given recognition and compensation for any additional hours they may work?
- Do LGEA members have access to flexible hours of work to help them balance their work/life needs?
Consultation & Engagement
- Are LGEA delegates and local representatives supported in the workplace?
- Is there a genuine commitment to consultation around workplace change?
- Is Council’s Consultative Committee well-resourced and active in decision making processes?
If you think that your Council provides a great work environment for you and your fellow engineers and local government professionals why don’t you download our Nomination Form and briefly tell us why you think it should be considered for our Employer of Choice Award.
Nominations must be in by Friday 28 October and the winning Council will be announced at this year’s LGEA AGM to be held on Friday 18 November at Mid Coast Council’s Taree Administration Centre.
The winner will be judged by a panel of LGEA Committee members and staff. Good luck!