Peter Sheath has been selected as the winner of this year’s scholarship. Peter is a NSW-based Civil Engineer who joined APESMA in 2001
Peter Sheath the recipient of the 2010 Manager Upskill scholarship
Manager Upskill is a skills development scholarship program which demonstrates the MPD’s commitment to supporting managers’ further development of their technical and management competencies and leadership capability. The scholarship provides the recipient with a cash incentive of $500 towards relevant training.
Peter Sheath has been selected as the winner of this year’s scholarship. Peter is a NSW-based Civil Engineer who joined APESMA in 2001 and is the Manager of Design and Projects with the Wyong Shire Council on the NSW Central Coast. He will put the $500 toward continuing with his Graduate Certificate in Infrastructure Asset Management at the University of Tasmania.
On the benefit of the training, Peter said:
“In 2006 it was estimated that up to 40 per cent of Councils were unsustainable leading to a call for a nationally consistent framework for infrastructure asset management planning. In 2009 the NSW Government legislated under the Local Government Act for an integrated planning and reporting framework, the implementation guidelines of which require asset management planning to follow the International Infrastructure Management roadmap. The benefits of applying the roadmap include:
- demonstrating to the community improved governance and accountability as well as greater sustainability and financial efficiency;
- driving the adoption of whole-of-life strategies that will ensure the sustainable use of physical and financial resources for the long term;
- providing defined levels of service which are understandable by the community, and able to be measured and reported;
- planning for the impact of growth through demand management and further infrastructure investment;
- managing risks associated with asset failures; and
- establishing a pathway to continuous improvement in asset management practices.
“Completing the Graduate Certfiicate in infrastructure asset management will allow me to implement the the principles set out in the roadmap and equip me to work towards an Infrastructure Management role when the opportunity arises.”
APESMA congratulates Peter on being the recipient of the inaugural Manager Upskill scholarship and wishes him continuing success with the Graduate Certificate in Infrastructue Asset Management.