Despite the best efforts of Staff and your Union this week, Mt Arthur failed to provide sufficient information that would allow Staff and their Union to consult around the proposed restructure. Members have communicated their dissatisfaction with the process far, and the continued frustration about insufficient information.
Yesterday, as previously agreed with the Fair Work Commission (FWC) and Mt Arthur, your Union went back to the FWC to report your frustration. During yesterday’s proceedings we sought to get further agreement to meet Mt Arthur management. Despite several proposals, yesterday Mt Arthur refused to commit to any process that did not allow them to retrench Staff as of noon today.
Their failure to commit to an open and transparent process yesterday led to your Union seeking Orders in the FWC TODAY, to try to make the company provide essential information. Critical to what we wanted was for actual managers of the Mt Arthur site to attend meetings so that accurate information could be proved in a timely fashion.
To ensure you receive the genuine consultation that you deserve, the FWC made these following Orders:
- Mt Arthur Coal will not issue any notices of Redundancy before 5 pm 22 March 2016
- Mt Arthur Coal must not offer redeployments of Staff that would take affect prior to Wednesday 23 March 2016
That one or more senior managers must meet with your Union and Staff Representatives on Monday 21 March for the purposes of discussing each department including
1. The duties of positions in the new structure and
2. The number of Staff who are proposed to be made redundant
- Mt Arthur Coal is to hold a further phone conference with your union on Tuesday 22 March at 10am
Your Union will continue to provide members at the Mt Arthur site with regular updates, and encourage you to email any questions and proposals you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org.